Liquid-Nitrogen Ice Cream. CSI Meets CSU. Dolphins and You. Intrigued? Have a child who might be too? Then a big festival kick-off this weekend might be for you.
Your choices, near Santee and in San Diego, include the San Diego Science Festival, a jam-packed week of activities celebrating every aspect of science you could imagine. The ice cream, CSI and dolphin questions all will be tackled at San Diego State Saturday.
Other events include a long-awaited highway opening, several youth performances and some skilled extreme-sports stars.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
WEST HILLS SPIRIT
- Where/when: West Hills High School, Santee, Wednesday through Friday.
- Why Go: The school has a series of events this week: , a talent show, begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday; the is at 5 p.m. Thursday, and , which stands for Parents at Class with Kids, begins at the start of the school day, 7:30 a.m. Friday.
- Price: $6-12 for iRock; free for art show; free for Parents Day (Parents only!).
- Where/when: State Route 52 and Cuyamaca Street, Santee, 9 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: The city unveils the extension of the highway with a street fair on the roadway. The grand opening includes a community walk/run and music.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: Michael's Grill, Santee, Saturday.
- Why Go: Another effort by the community to help Ryan O'Dell, 9, a Santee boy stricken with brain cancer. The restaurant is launching a 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. brunch to mark the day, but 20 percent of the proceeds from all meals, during the 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. business hours, will go to the O'Dell family.
- Price: Varies.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Casa del Prado Theater, Balboa Park, San Diego, Thursday through Sunday.
- Why Go: San Diego Junior Theatre wraps up two productions this weekend: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and The Fantastic Mr. Fox.
- Price: $8-14.
- Where/when: Balboa Park, San Diego State and various sites, San Diego, 9 a.m., Saturday.
- Why Go: To encounter all manner of science demonstrations and experiments at the sprawling San Diego Science Festival, which continues through March 26 at several area venues. To begin, San Diego State hosts a day of engineering feats, at 9 a.m. Balboa Park's Science Family Day, at museums and other areas in the park, starts at 11 a.m.
- Price: Free at San Diego State, varies at other sites.
- Where/when: YMCA Krause Family Center Skate & Bike Park, San Diego, 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: Join with the top names in skateboarding and BMX riding at the Clash at Clairemont, a benefit for cancer patients and their families. Watch pros and amateurs try tough stunts and pick up some freebies to boot.
- Price: Minimum $10 donation.