The San Diego Science Festival wraps up this weekend but if your child turns his or her nose up at the very idea of experiments, there are plenty of other options.
Your choices for family-friendly activities near Santee and in San Diego, from March 23-29, include the big finish to the science festival, at Petco Park, a one-stop shopping center for college and a night out ... at City Hall? Unlikely, but yes.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: El Cajon Valley High School, 1035 E. Madison Ave., El Cajon, 6 p.m. Wednesday.
- Why Go: Cheer squads from the Grossmont Union High School District's campuses will compete at the junior varsity and varsity levels.
- Price: $5-$7.
- Where/when: , 10601 N. Magnolia Ave., Santee, 6:30 p.m. Friday.
- Why Go: Friday Night Hot Spot takes over City Hall for one night, to allow teens to enjoy music and a night away from the 'rents. Open to students in sixth through ninth grades.
- Price: $5-10.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: San Diego Convention Center, 111 W. Harbor Blvd., San Diego, 9 a.m. Thursday.
- Why Go: Though there are many guidebooks to help you and your teen try to figure out what college is best for his or her needs, sometimes the personal touch helps. The National College Fair brings dozens of campus recruiters to one spot to try and make the process a little easier.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: Balboa Park, 6th Avenue and Laurel Street, San Diego, 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: To support youngsters with autism through the seventh annual Race for Autism. Includes a 5K and a 1-mile route, and a resource fair during and after the race.
- Price: $20-$35.
- Where/when: Petco Park, 100 Park Blvd., San Diego, 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: The San Diego Science Festival concludes in grand style with Expo Day at the ballpark, featuring music and hands-on experiments. Other events on the final day include the Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair at Balboa Park and a Coastkeeper beach clean-up in Coronado.
- Price: Free at Petco, varies at other sites.