The Santee Firefighters and Friends Relay for Life team is back at the fundraising this year for the American Cancer Society.
They are one of the most active participants in . Not only do they traditionally raise more than $10,000 for the cause, they're a big part of the fun at the event, providing a lot of the entertainment for the kids.
Team Captain Jeff Hernandez said a big reason the team is so devoted to the cause is because firefighters are exposed to many carcinogens in the line of duty, which raises the possibility that they may come down with cancer sometime in their life.
They'll raise money for the next couple of months for those fighting cancer. You can help the Santee firefighters and their cause in numerous ways. Some of them are as easy as bringing a flier with you to a local eatery while others require a poker face.
If you're interested in creating a or supporting a participant or team with donations, go here. And, come out to support the Relay June 2 and 3 at .
Listed below are ways Santee residents can support the firefighters Relay for Life team and the American Cancer Society. Choose one or choose them all! Click on the links for additional details and fliers.
- When/where:, 130 Town Center Pkwy, May 6 11 a.m.-close.
- Why go: Eat your favorite fish tacos and 20 percent of your purchase will go to the firefighter's Relay for Life team.
- Cost: Cost of meal, bring flier (attached)
- When/where: , 9804 Mission Gorge Rd, May 14 and 15, open to close.
- Why go: Portion of your check goes to the firefighter's Relay for Life team.
- Cost: Cost of meal, bring flier (find it here soon)
- When/where: Viejas Casino, 5000 Willows Rd, Alpine, May 31 at 6:30 p.m.
- Why go: Play poker, bet big, eat, drink and have fun with friends.
- Cost: $100 buy-in.
- When/where: , 9951 Riverwalk Dr., June 1 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Why go: Compete in CrossFit style workouts and have free access to batting cages and other facilities at Sportsplex.
- Cost: $25.