San Diego County Sheriff's Department has issued summer crime prevention tips, most of which involve common sense.
Always lock doors and windows especially at night and when you're away heads the list.
- Close your garage and pet doors.
- Secure ladders and tools so they can't be used to access your home.
- Lock up your home, activate any alarms.
- Don't share your plans on social media.
- Halt mail delivery or ask friends or neighbors to pick it up.
- Sign up for a free vacation check from Sheriff's Senior Volunteer Patrol.
With car safety the most important things are to keep doors locked, windows rolled up all the way, never to leave valuables in plain sight and park whenever possible in well-lit areas.
Regarding pool safety, adults are encouraged to keep children within arm's reach at all times, to fence pools with self-closing or self-latching gates and learn CPR.
For more information visit sdsheriff.net/patrol.