You can call up , send emails all over, and reach out in many directions in looking for an answer to a local problem or help with an issue- or we can get that question right to , and he can use his resources and local government know-how to get the best answer around.
Send your questions or comments on any topic, preferably a local issue, to firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave it as a comment below, and we'll pass it onto Mayor Voepel. He's agreed to shoot for answering one a week, so let's get those questions coming!
Q. My name is Kevin. I have resided in Santee for 28 years. I am writing to request your support in opposing the Quail Brush Power Plant project being considered by the Energy Comission. I believe the project is inappropriate for this city.
A. Kevin, I oppose the power plant and I believe a majority of our City Council members do as well (who would want a power plant on their border?). However there are some issues beyond the City of Santee's control:
1. The power plant is going to be in the Sycamore Landfill.
2. The landfill is within the City of San Diego.
3. The City of San Diego cares nothing about your, or the City's protests.
5. Because the City (400 other Redevelopment Districts as well) has been turned upside down financially, we do not have the estimated $250,000 to fight the power plant in court.
6. If we did go to court and spent the $250,000 plus, in legal fees, we have a 95% chance (based upon preliminary legal opinion) of loosing the lawsuit and only a 5% chance of getting minor concessions.
That is the way I see this issue right now. The City of San Diego is the 400 pound gorilla on our front doorstep. The California Energy Commission is the other 800 pound gorilla at our backdoor. City Staff has attended each meeting and we have submitted our concerns to the Energy Commission.
In the past, we successfully opposed a much larger permanent Power Plant right on the border with MCAS Miramar. We had a strong case then and won. This time we have a weak case, as this is a much smaller peaker plant that will only be used during high grid-load times, estimated to be 10 -12 times a year. The Santee City Council wins most of the lawsuits we enter into because we pick our fights very carefully and fight all the way, win or lose.
This issue would be too expensive to fight with little chance of winning. Once again if anyone wants to pony up $100,000-$250,000 for this fight lets go! This would not be a good use of taxpayer money in these economic times.
As you know I never mince words- the City of Santee will be rolled over on this one, with no hope of stopping a power plant that most other people want. Even if some people don't want it built, a vast majority outside of Santee are happy to have it in a corner of a landfill, away from everybody but a few folks at the west end of town.
Mayor, City of Santee