Election Campaign Signs Still Seen Around Santee

Nearly two months after the election some rogue signs advertising political aspirations remain on local roadsides.

Driving around Santee nearly two months after the election I keep passing campaign signs that still remain from the November election- my attention distracted for a moment by the advertisements designed to do just that.

These signs are actually illegally placed- currently about six weeks past the legal time when they should have been pulled up by those that placed them there.

Santee Patch columnist Doug Curlee laid out the basics of Santee campaign sign law in a column written for a previous election:

The signs on public property here in town are, according to Section17.32.040 of the Santee Municipal Code, supposed to disappear no later than 10 days after the election in question- having been put up no more than 34 days before said election.

But if they don't, there is no penalty in law for that- no fines, no anything.

Since there seems to be no government remedy for this problem, that's where Patch comes in.

So, this is a call out to Jack Dale, Randy Voepel, Rudy Reyes, Maggie Acerra, Robert Amador, and any others that might still have signs up in town- I understand the need for such signs to run an affective campaign, but please take them down once the election is over.

Read more about campaign signs:

  • Poll: Should Something More Be Done About Eyesore Campaign Signs?
  • A New Species of Plant Life
  • Campaign Signs Still Plague Santee
Peter December 28, 2012 at 01:41 AM
Good article. I actually emailed one of the candidates about their signs, and received a reply!, but I still see the signs up. Maybe this call-to-action will produce better results.
Robert Amador December 28, 2012 at 04:03 AM
I paid a company to place the Amador for Judge signs and part of the price included removal. I advised the author of that and notified the company as well. Please email the locations of any remaining signs to amadorforjudge@gmail.com and I will get them removed. Thank you for bringing this to my attention Robert Amador
Pat December 28, 2012 at 07:57 AM
Just leave Rudy Reyes' signs up there-he'll just be running in the next election of course.
Kathy December 28, 2012 at 09:18 AM
Maybe he doesn't realize the Election is over, poor Guy.
rudy reyes December 28, 2012 at 04:50 PM
Kathy and pat that specific sign was placed by property owner on private fence. They placed and haven't removed. Yet I see Copeland and Dale signs in town square by home depot. Why target me, when mayor and running mates signs still up
rudy reyes December 28, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Sorry autocorrect for disability. That was vopel nor Copeland
Mayor Randy Voepel December 29, 2012 at 01:06 AM
90% of the Voepel for Mayor signs that I put up, were down election night. I worked from 2000 (closing of polls) to 0830 the next day to get them off the streets. The other 10% were recovered within 48 hours, the last 10% are the hard to get to signs. I put up over 60 large signs (4X8), (3X5) and had 25 in reserve for this election Campaign. I put out over 300 yard signs. With that massive amount of sign firepower deployed overnight and recovered over night, a few stragglers are to be expected. The sign that was deployed near Home Depot was not mine. The Deputy Sheriff's Association (DSA) hired a company to ingress and egress the signage operational area, that individual DSA sign's location was off of my highly accurate sign operational template. Which is as it should be, as separate Political Action Committees and organizations are not allowed to coordinate with Candidates under Election Law. I will secure that DSA sign this Saturday. Respectfully, your 79% of the vote, Mayor, City of Santee PS You never can have enough signs.
Santee Mike December 29, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Kathy: best comment of the week!
Santee Mike December 29, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Just take your signs down or have someone else do it for you. It's tacky and an eyesore in our great town. Have some pride and respect for your town you say you want to represent.
Santee Mike December 29, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Excuses... Just pull your car over, pull your signs down, or make a note of the locations from either this article or driving by and have a friend or family member remove it. Never heard such excuses, this is crazy...


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »