By Greg Evans, Santee Lakes
WEEK OF: September 16, 2013CATFISH:
Santee Lakes regulars Jerry and Bob landed a huge 7 lb. Catfish out of lake 5 on a nightcrawler. Caught on 6 lb. line and then released.
Lakes 3 and 4 were stocked this past Friday with several limits caught out of both lakes. The next stock of Catfish is due to arrive this Friday, September 27th. A portion of this stock will go into lakes 6 and 7. Check out www.santeelakes.com for camping and cabins availability.
Mark your calendars! Trout Opening Weekend is scheduled for November 2nd and 3rd. Santee Lakes will be stocking 2,500 lbs. of Rainbow Trout for opening weekend including Trophy Trout in the double digits and tagged trout for prizes.
Recipe of the Week: Fried Catfish
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
6 (4- to 6-oz.) catfish fillets
1/3 cup plain yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup masa harina (corn flour)*
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce.
2. Place catfish in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; pour buttermilk mixture over fish. Cover and chill 8 hours, turning once.
3. Combine cornmeal and next 6 ingredients in a shallow dish.
4. Let fish stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Remove from buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge fish in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
5. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a large, deep cast-iron or heavy-duty skillet; heat to 360°.
6. Fry fish, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack on a paper towel-lined jelly-roll pan. Keep warm in a 225° oven until ready to serve.
*All-purpose flour or plain yellow cornmeal may be substituted.
(stock will arrive on or before date below)
September 27, 2013
1,000 lbs. of Catfish