By Greg Even, Santee Lakes
WEEK OF: March 4, 2013
Water temp is slowing climbing. Currently at 60 degrees. The Bass are moving into the shallows getting ready for the spawn.
All Bass are catch and release which has increased our lakes Bass population and size. Reminder if you put a line in the water you need a Lakes Permit.
Lakes 3 and 4 were stocked this past Friday. This was the final Trout stock this season. You have until March 31st to catch a Trout 5 lbs. or larger and get entered into the April 1st drawing for a flat screen TV.
Swede Sommer from Spring Valley caught 2 Trout and a Catfish out of lake 4 on nightcrawlers. Largest Trout weighed in at 3 lbs.
A few more weeks of Trout fishing and then the Catfish will be getting all of the attention.
Opening Weekend is scheduled for April 6th and 7th. Campsites are going quick so make you reservations today. Lakes 3 and 4 will split 2,000 lbs. of Catfish including HUGE Cats and tagged Catfish worth CASH and Prizes!!
Recipe of the Week: Irish Trout with Hazelnuts
- 4 small trout
- 3 ounces butter
- 3 ounces flour
- 2 1/2 ounces hazelnuts, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Few green onions, chopped
- Clean trout remove gills.
- Mix the flour with salt and pepper to taste and roll the trout through this mixture.
- Fry them on both sides in half of the butter, about 10 minutes per side.
- Take the trout out of the pan, brown the rest of the butter; stir in the lemon juice and pour this over the fish.
- Sprinkle with hazelnuts, parsley and green onions.
NEXT STOCK (stock will arrive on or before date below)
Catfish Opening Weekend
April 6th and 7th
Night Fishing (registered campers only, lakes 6 & 7)
Fishing Permit Fees
Adult (ages 16 and over) $9.00 per day
Junior (ages 7 to 15) $6.00 per day
Second fishing pole stamp $4.00
*One child under 7 may fish for free with a paid adult
** No California State Fishing License required to fish at Padre Dam’s Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve.