By Greg Even, Santee Lakes
WEEK OF: February 18, 2013
Bryce Kelly age 20 from El Cajon caught and released an 8 lb. Bass from lake 3 on a swimbait.
Anglers are seeing the Bass move in closer to shore. Pre-spawn??
Thomas Campbell Jr. caught a 6 lb. 1oz. Trout out of lake 3 on a spinner bait.
Terrence Toal from La Jolla caught a 5 lb. 2 oz. Rainbow out of lake 3 on powerbait.
Bob Grant caught a 5 lb. 4 oz. Trout out of lake 3 on a nightcrawler.
Grant Quinones from Alpine caught a stringer full of Trout out of lake 4. Largest weighed 5 lbs. 8 oz.
Jim Darr landed a 5 lb. 8 oz. Trout out of lake 3 on chartreuse powerbait.
Frank Rubalcaba caught a stringer of Trout out of lake 3 on powerbait. Largest weighed 4 lbs.
Recipe of the Week: Steamed Trout with Mushrooms
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp lemon juice
fresh dill sprigs
2/3 - 1 cup (50 - 75 g) mushrooms, sliced
1. Thoroughly clean the fish and arrange them on a large piece of foil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, lemon juice and dill.
2. Fold over the foil securely so that the juice does not run out.
3. Place between two large plates then place the plates over a saucepan of boiling water.
4. Steam for 10-15 minutes until cooked and transfer to a hot serving dish.
5. Pour the cooking juice from the foil into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
6. Add the mushrooms and simmer gently for 4-5 minutes.
7. Pour the mushrooms and juice over the trout and serve at once.
Night Fishing (registered campers only, lakes 6 & 7)
Fishing Permit Fees
Adult (ages 16 and over) $9.00 per day
Junior (ages 7 to 15) $6.00 per day
Second fishing pole stamp $4.00
*One child under 7 may fish for free with a paid adult
** No California State Fishing License required to fish at Padre Dam’s Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve.
(stock will arrive on or before date below)
March 8, 2013
1,000 lbs. of Rainbow Trout