It’s ! Are you excited for the long weekend ahead? Or are you mourning the unofficial death of summer that comes with it? We say enjoy it while you can and get out with this weekend’s best bets we picked for you. Hope you have a fantastic holiday weekend.
This Labor Day Weekend, Sept. 2-5, Santee and beyond have some fun activities planned. Stay close to home and enjoy a tense football match, help out an Eagle Scout with a project and enjoy some bluegrass on the green. Venture out a little farther and you’ll stay busy with free comedy, hundreds of insects, a grape stomp and the last of the summer concert series at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where:, 8756 Mast Blvd., Santee, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Local high schools’ varsity teams, West Hills and Santana, duke it out on the football field. Who will you be cheering for?
- Price: $3-$7.
- When/where: , 9200 N. Magnolia Ave., Santee, 7 a.m.-noon Saturday.
- Why go: Help out Eagle Scout Luke Walker create a walking path and picnic area at the historical society. Refreshments will be served and friendships will be made.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Prescott Promenade, intersection of West Main Street and North Magnolia Avenue, El Cajon, 6-8 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Start your weekend off with some bluegrass, performed by Old Town Road at the Concerts on the Green series in El Cajon.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Sycuan, 5469 Casino Way, El Cajon, 6 and 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: See the four original cast members of Broadways Jersey Boys. The Midtown men will perform twice in one night at Sycuan.
- Price: $25-$35.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: @Spacebar Internet Café, 7454 University Ave., La Mesa, 8 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Watch stand-up comedians, including Gina Manning and Kathleen Finney.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Menghini Winery, 1150 Julian Orchards Dr., Julian, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s the annual Julian Grape Stomp, where you can sink your toes into some grapes and stomp away. Bring the whole family for food, crafts, games, music and wine-tasting.
- Price: $5-$10.
- When/where: San Diego Natural History Museum, 1788 El Prado, San Diego, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday.
- Why go: Explore all things insects at this Insect Mania at the Natural History Museum. Kids will learn about bugs, both alive and preserved, and even get to make a creepy-crawly craft to take home.
- Price: Free with museum admission ($11-$17) or membership.
- When/where: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, following the race Friday and Sunday.
- Why go: It’s the last two concerts of the summer series. Catch Fitz and the Tantrums on Friday and swoon over Ben Harper on Sunday after the horseraces.
- Price: The concert is free if you paid race admission, otherwise the cost is $20.