Updated at 11 a.m. Sunday
El Cajon firefighters Sunday estimated that $50,000 damage was caused by an electrical fire that consumed a house in the 600 block of Alderson Street.
No one was hurt in the fire, at 11:13 a.m. Saturday, but the 87-year-old occupant of the house was left homeless and was being helped by the American Red Cross, said Monica Zech, the city of El Cajon public information officer.
Heartland Fire & Rescue crews in El Cajon said the home at 612 Alderson St. had flames and heavy smoke coming from the windows. "Quick action by fire crews had the fire knocked down in less than 15 minutes, keeping the fire from reaching nearby homes," she said.
Zech said the 87-year-old man, the sole occupant of the home, was able to escape and was assisted by the American Red Cross.
She said the kitchen of the home, where the fire, possibly electrical in nature, appears to have started, was a total loss.
Firefighters from San Miguel Fire Protection District assisted in putting out the blaze.
-City News Service