.

Prescription Drug Overdose Caused Fraternity Death of Santee Resident

West Hills graduate Barzeen Barzanji succumbed to an overdose of oxycodone and Xanax.

Also read: 

An accidental overdose of prescription medications killed a 20-year-old SDSU student, and Santee resident, who was following a party at a , the Medical Examiner's Office reported Thursday.

Barzeen Barzanji, a criminal-justice major who had planned to graduate from college next year, succumbed to acute intoxication from the painkiller oxycodone and alprazolam, an anxiety treatment marketed under the trade name Xanax, according to the county agency.

Barzanji was discovered unconscious and unresponsive in a bed at the Phi Kappa Theta house in the 5500 block of Aztec Walk on April 20, the morning after he went to a party there with a cousin. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.

was not a member of that San Diego State fraternity house, but he was president of another one, Sigma Alpha Epsilon. The 2009 graduate worked as a waiter at a P.F. Chang's restaurant.

Following the fatality, the university put the Phi Kappa Theta chapter on suspension, limiting its guest privileges and many of its activities, and requiring it to remain fully drug- and alcohol-free.

Administrators lifted that restricted status this week, after an investigation found no evidence that the fraternity bore any responsibility for Barzanji's death, according to SDSU spokeswoman Gina Jacobs.

The revocation of the suspension was unrelated to the medical examiner's newly released toxicology findings in the case, Jacobs said.

-City News Service


Cara August 02, 2012 at 07:56 PM
aw...... yes...... prescription drugs! those are legal though!
Cara August 02, 2012 at 08:58 PM
and accidental overdose?? really?
Anwar Fadi August 03, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Accidental just means not a suicide attempt. He was partying and doing drugs but didn't mean to die from it. Bad enough taking drugs, even worse mixing with alcohol. He was wasted that night on both. I will miss him, hope other people wake up and learn from this. Sad for his family, bad enough to lose your kid - worse because he made a major mistake in judgement and was into drugs and alcohol.
Cara August 03, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I'm well aware what "accidental" means. Very sad for the parents to lose to child due to drugs and/or alcohol. But, I do believe anyone who mixes both IS well aware of what can happen, the warning labels are not placed on the bottles for looks. Hopefully young adults will use this as a lesson learned since prescription drugs seem to be so popular amongst them.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something